The "Silly Season" is fast approaching and we all know where that's going. Our social lives spiral out of control, we eat all the wrong things and drink a little too much. Before we know it, we've packed on a few too many kilo's and when it's all over and done, we often find ourselves feeling overweight and exhausted - not to mention the dwindling finances and the prospect of returning to work is just too depressing to even contemplate so we just have another piece of left over Christmas Pudding to make ourselves feel better :-(
Thankfully, you can get your spirits back up after the festive period. Here are our top 5 tips for beating the post-Christmas blues.
1. Make a Plan
Even if you don't believe in New Year Resolutions, after the excitement of Christmas, getting back to a regular, mundane routine is enough to dampen anybody's spirits. A good way to alleviate this is to create something to look forward to - A PLAN! Depending on your budget and lifestyle, this could be anything from taking up a new activity or hobby, planning a night out or booking a trip away. Whatever you plan, make sure it is something you will really look forward to, then start counting down the days.
2. Exercise your Funny Bone
Laughter is a proven and extremely effective mood booster; releasing endorphins which instantly raise spirits and give a feeling of wellbeing. To help raise your spirits do something that makes you happy and makes you laugh - and spend a few hours exercising your laughter muscles.
3. Step Outside your Comfort Zone - Get Active
If you feel listless and uninspired following the Christmas period, put the spring back in your step by stepping out of your comfort zone and getting active. Make a commitment to do one thing a week that takes you out of your comfort zone. Getting active is one of the BEST things you can do. Exercise not only releases mood boosting endorphins, but if weight gain is one of the things getting you down, it will help to quickly shift those excess kilos. Get out and about and try something new - join a pole dance or aerial yoga class, or go for a run in the fresh air to put you in a better frame of mind.
4. Watch What you Eat
While it may be tempting to bury your sorrows under piles of junk food, a healthy diet is actually much more effective at helping you feel good. Some mood-boosting foods (which help the brain produce serotonin) such as whole grains, nuts, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and foods containing Omega-3 fatty acids (which can help lift depression), such as oily fish or flaxseeds.
5. Spice up your Social Life
Spending time with others can be one of the greatest mood boosters, but you can't always rely on everybody else to make the plans. If your social life could do with a boost following Christmas, it's time to get proactive. Pick up the phone and give someone a call or arrange to visit someone who lives a long way away. Alternatively, take up a hobby or join a club and start meeting some new people to spend time with.
Pol-arise Fitness & Dance classes ticks ALL the boxes!
- Plan ahead and sign up to join a class in the New Year! Whatever your motivation (to get fit, lose weight, make new friends, learn something new etc) you'll have a blast.
- A Pole Dance, Aerial Yoga or Beach Body class will not only exercise your body, but will give your facial muscles a serious work out too. Our classes are heaps of fun and you'll find yourself laughing your way to a fitter, sexier you.
- Lots of ladies are a little nervous about trying a pole dance class (even though secretly they REALLY want to do it) - and lots of ladies are a little nervous about coming on their own and not knowing anyone. Stress less ladies - step out of your comfort zone and give it a try! We guarantee we won't bite, and you will not be disappointed. If self confidence is an issue, join our SELF ESTEEM TEAM (it's FREE) - and remember, "confidence is the sexiest thing a woman can wear".
- If you want to lose a little weight or shift those extra kilo's that "just appeared" over Christmas, you're in the right place. The Pol-arise Shape-Up program can point you in the right direction. A good diet and a fun exercise program will see you getting the results you want.
- Our classes are FUN, FRIENDLY and NON COMPETITIVE and you'll find yourself making lifelong friendships in no time at all.